Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A New Day...

Here's my preschool graduate on her field trip day (she's glowing with sunscreen)!
I had an absolutely crazy Mother's Day weekend. It actually wasn't much fun at all!

I would love a "re-do" as I didn't even get to enjoy the day dedicated to ME! But, it's not gonna happen! And, despite the unpleasant things that transpired, I was still filled with a profound sense of happiness, gratitude to God, and wonder to be a mother to my six beautiful children (so all was not lost!).

I will briefly describe the events of the weekend. Perhaps it will be entertaining or perhaps not(!), but I think writing about it will help me to vent and to put things into proper perspective (although things seem so overwhelming in the moment, they are really nothing in the grand scheme of life!).

Anyway, Saturday was a very busy day for my husband. He had a big role in the logistics behind a Men's Conference for the Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg. It was a wonderful day of renewal and enrichment for around 600 men. I am glad that things were going well at the conference...because at the home front...not so much :).

My husband left around 6 a.m., and I was relieved that the baby was still sleeping so I could roll over for a bit. "A bit" lasted 10 minutes! My oldest daughter came in at 6:10 a.m. and notified me that she felt sick to her stomach. Fabulous!

I started my day with a big cup of coffee as Gianna rested on the couch. I was hopeful that it was just the antibiotics that she was on for strep throat that were bothering her stomach. Everyone but Lucy was up by 6:30 a.m. Lucy slept without a sound. At 8 a.m., I became concerned as I have no way of knowing what is going on in her crib and she is usually up by then!

I came to discover that Lucy had thrown up all over her crib. I'm not sure WHEN exactly...she was just sitting completely calm in the middle of the mess! Strange reaction! As I was getting Lucy into the tub and starting the laundry, Gianna suddenly threw up in her bedroom. Fabulous!

This sweet baby was the last one to get the stomach bug last night!
I will stop all the details now. But, all 8 of us were hit with a very nasty stomach bug. Everything is back to normal today, and I have loved every minute of a "normal" day. It was a great reminder to never take health for granted!!!

Back to Saturday! I managed go get Cecilia to dance and Joseph to soccer as they were not sick (yet!). We came home from pick-up (luckily no one was sick in the car!) and I tried to send the healthy kids out to play. It was a gorgeous day and I thought the fresh air was just what everyone needed!

Cecilia came to me and said, "Something is very wrong in the backyard." Uh-oh...that didn't sound good!

I ran to the door to see that a gust of wind had picked up the umbrella on the patio...and this had shattered the glass table into at least three trillion little tiny pieces of glass. Yay (said with much sarcasm)!

I got the little ones down for a nap and then put a movie on for the older kids so that I could begin the cleanup. Fun times! After an hour, I decided to have some pizza delivered as my reward. I was hungry and at least I wouldn't have to cook dinner :).

My husband got home around 5 p.m. I begged for an hour to escape to the gym. I thought that some heart-pumping cardio would give me an outlet and a healthy dose of endorphins!

I arrived at the gym to discover that I had forgotten my ear buds. Err...this was frustrating as I really wanted to enjoy an episode of The Middle (love this show!). Oh well...I decided that silence (well, not counting the music playing in the gym) was probably better for me.

That is until the fire alarm started to go off. Really!?! I just started and, really!? Luckily, the employees told us that we could stay on our equipment. Although, I'm sure that I suffered some permanent hearing damage! And, it wasn't really the "break" that I had needed or wanted...

I picked up this pretty statue of Mary for $2 while browsing through the Goodwill store!
Today is a new day. I am extra grateful that all of my children (and Mommy and Daddy!) are healthy and enjoying a regular day. I am looking forward to Cecilia's graduation from preschool tonight (Teresa will be my date because it's at 7 p.m. and we have quite a few little ones who "melt" at this hour so Daddy will stay home with them).

It's also the feast of Our Lady of Fatima. Thank you for helping through this crazy weekend, Mary (I called on her quite a bit!). Please, continue to help and protect my family by your most powerful intercession!

Wishing you a "regular" day...that we all have the graces to appreciate the three trillion little (preferably glass-free) blessings in our lives! :)












No comments:

Post a Comment