Thursday, June 5, 2014

Don't Worry, Be Happy...

Love these moments!
I was reading an article last night and something jumped out at me. Here's a summary:

The hardest thing about motherhood is not the physical exhaustion of being on duty 24/7. But rather, it is the realization and acceptance of how much of our children's lives is completely out of our control!

I may complain (especially to my husband!) that I have too much to do. But, in reality (and this happens a lot!), someone (like my husband) asks me how he/she can help me and I freeze up. I am afraid that if I let go of one of the balls that I have in the air, then they will all come down on my head! I guess I don't really want help after all (and I'm not saying this is a good trait of mine...).

I LIKE having almost every aspect of our family's lives in my hands. It is overwhelming, but comforting. And, I know and believe that God is REALLY in control, so I pray all day long for His help, guidance, and protection.

But, despite all my planning and intentions, so many things can happen that I cannot predict...terrible things that can (if I let them) take over my thoughts and lead me into a panic. I enjoy Facebook when it connects me to others and makes me laugh. I do not enjoy Facebook when I read about children dying of illness or accidents. Or, of mothers who are suffering miscarriages (I belong to a few Catholic prayer groups on Facebook, and this is sadly a common theme). I often think about all of these mothers throughout my day and beg Jesus to take away their suffering.

I know it is good to pray for others. I believe whole heartedly in intercessory prayer. But, it is not good for me to be anxious or fearful as it has the potential to distract me and rob me of the JOY that is all around me (just look at the children in the picture above)!!!

My all-time favorite Bible verse (Philippians) is one that I return to often:

Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
 

Deep thoughts today!

On a lighter note, my summer has officially begun! My now 2nd grader is off for the summer. We celebrated with a trip to the playground with some her friends and McDonald's shakes. I was going to buy a couple of shakes and split them. Then we couldn't decide on a flavor! No worries...I got one of each (vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry)...and we were all very happy :).





No comments:

Post a Comment