Sunday, August 17, 2014

Nothing lasts forever...

Nana and Gianna have a very special bond. The are making bead bracelets here.
Gianna was so sad last night because our visitors left. My father, mother, and brother came down from Massachusetts to spend five days with us.

I certainly enjoyed their visit, and I feel incredibly blessed to have spent happy times with my relatively healthy parents as I know not everyone my age has this honor anymore. My bachelor brother, who does not have any kids of his own, was incredible at making each one of my children feel loved and special.

It was just awesome to sit back and watch my children enjoy my "family of origin."

There was an abundance of laughing, tickling, hugs, and kisses! One of the highlights for me was going out three nights in a row...two date nights with hubby and one night out with my brother. I felt giddy just being able to go out for a few beers (and not worry at all about my kids...if I had a sitter, I don't think I'd have been able to relax as much) ! :)

I was okay when they left (it helped that I was leaving at the same time to take Cecilia to a birthday party!). I hope and pray that I will see them again (although I never know when the next time will be which is a little hard to think about!).

I'm sure that my parents were happy to sleep in their own bed and just to be home. My mother has always been fond of saying, "There's no place like home!" I know my sister who lives in the same town was anxious to have Papa and Nana back home! It is comforting to know that my parents are home safely together...where they belong!

Gianna, almost 8, does not have the same outlook. She is just...SAD! She was like a lost puppy last night. She asked me if I would take her to restaurant alone or at least play Uno with her. Neither one was possible at the time that she asked (almost bed time). I tried to make it better, but I knew that I was failing. She said that she doesn't like that things have to end. I told her to talk to Jesus and Mary about it and to just let herself feel sad for a little bit because it's normal!

Gianna's favorite person!

Luckily, she was much happier this morning. She is super excited about my 39th birthday tomorrow...way more excited than me...LOL! It's a very nice distraction at least.

This morning before Mass she was helping all the kids make birthday cards, and then she asked me a bunch of questions so Daddy can take her to get a gift. For example: What is your favorite drink? What is your favorite flower? What is your favorite pet? (Ha...can't blame a girl for trying!).

Justin joined in saying, "Happy birthday to my big 39-year-old girl!" Gee, thanks :).

I'm reminded of when I was 9-years-old and sneaking through my mother's bureau (hoping my kids don't get any ideas...not that they read this blog!). I came across a pad of paper that said, "39 Forever." I did not understand what it meant at all...

I get it now :). Crazy to think I am the one who is 39...

I don't feel bad or sad at all though. Just happy...what a blessed woman I am to celebrate my birthday with my parents, brother (missing my other brother and sister who stayed in Massachusetts though), husband, sad yet incredibly thoughtful almost 8-year-old daughter, and the rest of my beautiful babies.

Nothing lasts forever so I'll treasure today!

No comments:

Post a Comment