Wednesday, March 13, 2013

All is not lost...


Joseph lost his first tooth this week! Of course, it was exciting to put the tooth under his pillow for the tooth fairy. I had no idea what a night we would have!

Joseph, who usually sleeps without a sound from 8 p.m. - 7 a.m., woke up at least four times...each time calling me loudly. The first time to tell me that the tooth was gone, but the tooth fairy had not come! He was incorrect...the tooth was safe and sound right where he left it. The second time an hour later was the same. The third time was to inform me that the tooth fairy did come, and he was thrilled. At 2 a.m., I wasn't so excited. The fourth time was to check on his treasure.

It would not have been such a big deal, except for the fact that Lucy was up even more times. I took her to the doctor the next morning...her ears are infected again :(.

Glad to report (for my sanity) that the next night, they both slept peacefully! I don't think I'm ready for Joseph to lose his other loose tooth just yet!

So, we've lost sleep and teeth in our house this week, but I'd like to reflect on something that is not lost. That is: INNOCENCE.

There is just so much that I don't have to worry about or deal with yet (negative peer influences, exposure to all the trash on the internet and TV, asking for material goods that others have, worrying about body image, etc., etc. etc.) because my children are so small...and so precious and innocent. And, I'm loving it! For example, Joseph told me that he would like to marry me and stay with me forever. Ahhh...melts my heart!

I remember when Gianna was a small infant and I was at a new mom network meeting. One of the mothers brought...a toddler.

I remember looking at the 1-year-old girl and thinking that she looked so big, so mysterious, so germy, so uncoordinated. I couldn't even imagine Gianna being that big...I was SO not ready to be the mother of a toddler!

Then I volunteered in the babysitting room at Gymboree Play and Music when Gianna was 1-1/2 and Joseph was a newborn. I had to watch several 4-year-old boys. I did not care for them...I thought they were too loud, too rambunctious, too impulsive. I was SO not ready to be the mother of a 4-year-old boy!

But, now I have both toddlers and preschool boys...and I love these stages! I am confident in my ability to mother them (most of the time!). SO, I can only trust that God will prepare me as I go. I don't need those extra graces to deal with preteens and teenagers...yet. I need only to gratefully live my current state in life...trusting that I will grow with my children (with God's help).

No worries (yeah, right!).




No comments:

Post a Comment