Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cheap Candles and Answered Prayers...



I love Our Lady of Guadalupe. I don't think I knew of her growing up because I don't remember a special devotion or anything. When I lived in Washington D.C., however, I used to go to the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception (the largest Catholic Church in the United States!) and pray in the magnificent chapel devoted to her.

A few years ago, I bought a very cheap candle with her image and a beautiful prayer. Literally, it was at Walgreens for like $2 or something!! I thought to myself, "How could I not buy this!?" I felt guilty walking away...there were about 20 of them, and I thought of buying them all. How could I leave Mary at Walgreens? Ha! (Only bought one, by the way...other people need her too!).

When I was pregnant with my third child, I had a little more time than I do now! My infant and toddler were napping, and I lit the candle one afternoon. I hate to say that might have been the last time (over 3 years ago!). I was praying for my new baby; and though we didn't know the gender, I asked for guidance in naming him/her.

We had a boy name picked out (Justin...used it for the 4th baby!), but the girl name was totally up in the air (that's kind of our thing with girl names!). Ryan had suggested Cecilia after St. Cecilia, but I was rather unsure. I decided to ask Our Lady. "If this baby is a girl, should we name her Cecilia?!"

Of course, I was not expecting an answer. I know that my prayers are always heard, but if only it was so easy to get responses, huh!?!

Well, after praying, I went upstairs to check my e-mail before the kids got up. There was a e-mail from my sister-in-law. She is a lovely woman from Brazil. Although we have a great relationship, we do not often e-mail because English is not her first language, and she is not very comfortable writing it.

Anyway, my sister-in-law had randomly sent me an e-mail about a little girl in Brazil. Her name!? YES...it was Cecilia. I just stared at the screen in disbelief. Of all the names in the world?!

Could this be coincidence? Perhaps! But, I like to believe that Our Lady wanted our daughter named Cecilia. And, Cecilia Rose, age 3, is at preschool right now.

I have another intention to Our Lady of Guadalupe right now. My close friends here know what it is. I promised to honor a picture of Mary in a prominent place if my intention is answered. But, honestly, will I honor her anyway, even if I don't get what I think I want? Of course!

Because, as Saint Teresa of Avila said, "There are more tears shed over answered prayers than unanswered prayers." A lack of an answer might be the right answer, whether I like it or not. So, I will trust. Sounds easy, eh?

Our Lady of Guadalupe, Pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment