Monday, November 5, 2012

Homebodies...


Cecilia and Justin: My two peas in a pod. At 13 months apart, not quite Irish twins, but close enough!

As my children are all close together, it has been fun to watch them pair off. It tends to happen naturally according to their age. Gender has not really played a role yet, although Gianna and Cecilia will sit and do crafts together. They also share a room, so there is now giggling at night (it doesn't bother me...in fact, it's a nightly trip down memory lane for me as I remember how much fun it was for me to share a room with my sister...when we were younger, that is!!).

Justin is a little too young to keep up with Joseph's complex train scenarios, but Cecilia is just right for a playmate! She is a little older and wiser, a whole lot more vocal, sassy, and full of fun ideas (not all my first pick of activities!).

This morning we dropped Joseph off at preschool. It is Monday, which is our day with no plans. The rest of the week includes play dates, mom's groups, and story hours, but Monday is open-ended. I had a few ideas in mind: an errand or two followed by the library (fun kid area) or the local mall (indoor playground). After everyone was strapped into their car seats, I asked Cecilia where she would like to go. Justin and Lucy wouldn't object (goes along with the not much talking thing!).

She surprised me by saying rather decisively, "Home. Let's go home." I thought of the fact that we had just left home about a half hour earlier. That it had taken me about 3 hours to get everyone dressed and fed, and fed again (the kids are getting up extra early due to time change). The piles of laundry on my bed and the chores that were ignored over a busy weekend. "Really? Home?"

I'm not used to my children wanting to spend extra time at home. I have created my own monsters, actually. Since becoming a stay-at-home mom six years ago, I have discovered how much I need people. I am more social than I ever thought I could be (I was a very shy child and young adult, so this is still new to me!).

Being with other moms, or even chatting with strangers casually at the store, fills a huge need in me. I think most people who go to work everyday probably fill this need naturally, but I need to seek it out as my job is at home. I treasure my friendships greatly as they keep me happy and sane on this journey! That said, after being with people, I am often grateful to be home again in the afternoon/evening and I can happily settle in...need filled!

As a result of my "need" (more of a want, I realize!), if everyone is healthy and nothing out of the ordinary is going on....we go out every day! My children are used to this. I am often asked, "Where are we going!?" I usually have an answer! If I don't though, it can lead to complaints of boredom and restlessness (two of my least favorite emotions...especially in young children!).

I started driving today...not totally committed to the whole "home" idea. But, I started to think of how good it would feel to get my breakfast dishes done before the food dried on them! And, Lucy could get a proper morning nap...for once. Yes...let's go home!

As for Cecilia and Justin...they had a blast. With the big kids at school, they were left to themselves and I marveled at how well they play together. I smiled to myself so many times as I folded my laundry and listened to Cecilia talk (for both of them). I even said some prayers as no one seemed to need me for the better part of an hour. I thanked God for a lovely morning. Perhaps I should write this on my calendar for Mondays: HOME. What a concept!

Here's a blessing for homes:

O heavenly Father, Almighty God, we humbly beseech Thee to bless and sanctify this house and all who dwell therein and everything else in it, and do Thou vouchsafe to fill it with all good things; grant to them, O Lord, the abundance of heavenly blessings and from the richness of the earth every substance necessary for life, and finally direct their desires to the fruits of Thy mercy. At our entrance, therefore, deign to bless and sanctify this house as Thou didst deign to bless the house of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob; and may the angels of Thy light, dwelling within the walk of this house, protect it and those who dwell therein. Through Christ our Lord. Amen!









No comments:

Post a Comment