Tuesday, November 27, 2012

My kind of weather...

I hate snow. People often assume that I love snow once they learn that I grew up in Boston. I suppose I did as a child. I fondly remember sledding and making snow angels; and of course, hot chocolate with marshmellows to warm up!

At this stage of my life however, snow means cancelled school and ruined plans. I know...these are selfish reasons to hate nature! In fact, just a few short years ago (or a lifetime ago!), I loved snow days as a teacher in Washington, D.C. They cancel school down there at the mere threat of snow. I had full weeks off at a time!

Today is our first (and maybe last if it's like last year!) snow of the season. And, though there is snow on the ground, I love it! This is my kind of weather. It is enough to be extremely beautiful and to cause my children great joy, but not enough to change our daily routine in any way. There was not even a delay for the start of school. I went to Costco after preschool drop-off, and the roads are fine!

And though my oldest daughter is home from school with strep throat today, she just spent about a 1/2 hour trying to make a snowman...with only an inch of snow on the ground! Love it! Joseph stepped on the snowman (Didn't see it, he claimed. Probably just being a brother is more like it!) before I got a picture! It's okay though...I'm sure that they'll be out there again in a few hours...after they warm up with some hot chocolate.

I feel silly. I saw the weather forecast last night and all I could think was, "NO NO NO! Not fair." It has been a lovely Thanksgiving break, but Tuesday is supposed to be the first day back to school (here in Central Pennsylvania, we have the Monday after Thanksgiving off because it is the first day of deer hunting season...with a rifle, that is...bow and arrow already started. I'm definitely not in Boston anymore...I never met a real live person who hunted before I moved here!). I was ready to resume "normal" for a few weeks before Christmas!

I don't know what the rest of the day holds. So far, however, it's been a day of great unexpected blessings...better than "normal." Love those!





No comments:

Post a Comment