Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Divine Intervention...

My husband had a very early appointment this morning. This meant that I had to get Gianna out to the bus at 7:45 all by myself. And, she had to be dressed, fed, hair brushed, etc...imagine :).

It wouldn't be such a huge deal, except for the fact that Gianna hates to get out bed in the morning! And, the fact that she has four younger siblings who also need lots of care.

Most of the time, she is a happy-go-lucky, affectionate, generous little girl. She loves kindergarten, Daisies, and spending time with friends. Before 8 a.m., however, it is a different story! Everything is a struggle, and I often hear things like, "You don't love me!" (because I made her get out of bed!). We have thought about putting her to bed earlier, but she goes to bed at 8 p.m. as it is, and she simply doesn't even seem tired at 7 p.m.

Anticipating the struggle without my husband's help (it's manageable for two...especially if one of us can give Gianna undivided attention), I told Gianna last night that I was going to be on my own this morning. I asked her if she would please be in a good mood in the morning to help Mommy out. She responded that she was going to get up early and pray to Mary (there's a picture of Mary in the hallway outside my bedroom).

"REALLY!?!" I replied. I told her that this was a wonderful idea...all the while in my head thinking, "Yeah right...that will never happen!"

I got with my husband at 6 a.m. This allowed me time to get dressed, have some coffee and cereal, and make Gianna's lunch for school. At 7 a.m., I started up the stairs to wake her up.

I couldn't believe my eyes as I headed up the stairs...this is what I saw (see above). Two sleeper-clad little girls standing below the picture of the Blessed Mother. Cecilia is looking at Gianna (probably looking for guidance?!), but Gianna was definitely talking to Mary.

I ran back into the kitchen to grab my camera!

There must have been some powerful prayers going on because the morning went 100% better than I could have ever anticipated. Gianna was pleasant and obedient...and early to the bus stop. The boys slept until 8 a.m. (unheard of!) which allowed me time to take care of the baby before I needed to turn my attention to them.

It hit me how my prayers are answered...a lot. I had passed the same picture of Mary at 6 a.m. and asked for her help this morning. In fact, I do that all the time...usually a random prayer on the fly as I run up and down the stairs all day! Mary never lets me down...her intercession is so powerful, if only I remember to ask.

I know better to think that Gianna will do this every morning, or to think that Mary will grant me everything I ask (some of these struggles are GOOD for me, and God's will...which I can't possibly begin to predict or understand...be done), but what a nice surprise this morning...and now I have a picture (two of my daughters standing before their mother in prayer) that will stay in my heart forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment