Saturday, February 2, 2013

Shadows

I don't remember Groundhog Day being so important in past years. But, it is this year...at least in this house!

My three children who go to school all came home with groundhogs yesterday, and Joseph even had homework (which he took very seriously!) to see if the groundhog saw his shadow. Thus, we all anxiously sat around the TV at 7:30 a.m. this morning. He didn't (see his shadow, that is). Early spring sounds good to me (although I did just go for a beautiful, peaceful walk in the sparkly snow after dinner!).




I was just reading that Groundhog Day used to be no big deal (perhaps that's why I don't really remember it growing up). No big deal until the movie Groundhog Day became popular, that is! This morning there were 40,000 people in Punxsutawney, PA awaiting Phil's arrival!

It took me years to see the movie. The first time that I saw it, it didn't really leave an impression. The second or third time (I used to have cable and I would catch bits of it now and then), I really liked it. Or, I really liked the overall message: That we will never find true, lasting happiness in this life until we learn to live for others.

So, I will try to prepare myself for six more weeks of winter (regardless of what Phil thinks!). And, more importantly, I will consider it a privilege that God has blessed me with so many others to live for :).

Happy Groundhog's Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment