Saturday, October 27, 2012

Why Not!?

Here's how the first Halloween picture turned out! Good thing we tried again...

That's a little better...at least Justin joined us this time!

On Thursday night, we trick-or-treated. I know this is weird. I grew up in Boston where trick-or-treat was ALWAYS on October 31st...cloudy, rainy, snowy, weekday/weekend...it didn't matter.

Here in Central Pennsylvania, however, trick-or-treat is the Thursday before Halloween. Very strange...and very confusing for young children who think Halloween is now past...although it is still four days away!!!

Regardless, the children LOVED trick-or-treating. Now that Gianna is 6 and Joseph is almost 5, they led the pack...which means that we stayed out much longer than usual and went much farther. The younger kids hung in there, and even the baby seemed to enjoy herself.

The result: I have never seen so much candy in one place! The children will soon forget to ask for it (out of sight, out of mind). Unfortunately, I will not forget about it :).

On Friday night after an early dinner, Cecilia asked if it was almost time. For what, I thought?! Bed? Why yes!!!

But, she meant trick-or-treating again. "WHY NOT?" her response...my answer about once a year obviously did not suffice.

I thought about it from her point of view. On Thursday night, she got into her costume (she loves to dress up) and went on a fascinating walk where everyone she met was smiling and giving her candy...no wonder she wanted to do it again...how magical...the very essence of childhood!

For sure, I loved seeing my children so happy. I also really enjoyed seeing my neighbors. I wave to them when I drive by and they occasionally mention how big the kids have gotten, but that's about it. On trick-or-treat night, their doors are wide open and we are warmly received. Kind of nice, even if it's only once a year. I wonder if this is what it was like in past days when people actually knew their neighbors (that's rare today...at least in my neighborhood!).

As Gianna goes to a Catholic School, she will celebrate the REAL meaning of Halloween on Wednesday. There is a saint parade in anticipation of All Saints Day on November 1st, and she will dress up as a doctor to honor her patron saint, Saint Gianna. I am so grateful that she will see in a memorable way that Halloween is more than costumes and candy! All you saints, please pray for us.

As for Cecilia, she has been pretending to trick-or-treat with her baby dolls...that and an occasional piece of candy will have to do until the next Thursday before Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment