Friday, January 18, 2013

Little things...

Now that the craziness of the move is over, we are settling into our new home. And, we are loving the space! It feels so nice to spread out. There is lots to like, but I have two favorites.

The first is this:


Yes, it is a messy playroom! But, it is a playroom. I've never had a playroom before, so the mess does not bother me! At our old house, the living room was the one and only home for toys. So, my blood pressure would shoot up as soon as I walked through the room (which I had to do to get...anywhere!). When we were little, my mother always used to say, "Pick up your toys so I don't break my neck!" I never thought I would use one of her lines so often myself!

But now, the finished basement is just a big playroom. And, I don't even have to go down there (the laundry is upstairs!)...ever!! I will, of course; but, it will be when I am in the mood! Lucy has her own toys in the family room, so the big kids can go downstairs all by themselves and have a blast...and, they won't constantly hear Mom telling them to clean it up! Ah...

The second thing is this:


It is a bedroom for my older girls. And, there are two bed and two matching bureaus! I know, it sounds so practical, right!? I am loving it because we had the craziest set up in our old house. The bedrooms were small and the kids came so fast that almost no one had their clothes in the right room. Gianna's clothes were all in the boy's room, Cecilia and Justin's clothes were in my room, etc. Now, the entire family has their own clothes in their own rooms...and this is making me so happy. It's the little things in life, huh!?!?!

It feels like a home already. Granted, there are rooms with no furniture (a good problem to have!) and no pictures on the walls...yet. But, it feels like we are where we are meant to be. A few minutes ago I was doing laundry, and this prayer popped into my head about "being where you are meant to be." Of course, I had to look up the words:

St. Therese of Liseux:

Today may there be peace within.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content knowing you are a child of God. Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise, and love.
It is here for each and every one of us. 


St. Therese also believed that the little things in life (especially doing little things for others with great love in your heart...always working on that one!) were actually the big things. St. Therese, pray for us! Thank you God for little things (and little sleeping people...I'm enjoying nap time today!).



No comments:

Post a Comment