Thursday, January 24, 2013

My new prayer...


"Help me to conduct myself during this day in a manner pleasing to You. Amen."

Today is the feast of St. Francis de Sales, and this line is from a prayer that he wrote. I really like it. I think that I will add it to our daily prayers; I know that I need to pray it for myself, but I figure it could help my children too!

I really need help to not overreact when my children are acting ridiculous. My children really need help to not act ridiculous.

Take breakfast this morning, for example. It took me a while to pour four bowls of cereal (half healthy cereal/half sugary cereal!) and four drinks (one chocolate milk, one white milk, one apple juice, and one water). After it was all on the table, you would think (well, you would hope) that the children would just sit down and begin to eat.

Rather, (all said in a very whiny voice):
"That's my spoon!"
"Stop looking at me!"
"She pushed the table and now I'm not in the right place anymore."
"I wanted the other kind of cereal."
"Your leg is touching my seat....move over!"
"I'm not in the mood to eat right now."

Not to mention the spilled drink/cereal, kids getting up and down, parents begging kids to take another bite, etc.

It's not even 7:30 a.m., and I feel like I'm going to BURST! Luckily, my day tends to get much much better (for a while!) after everyone *eventually* eats!

People often ask me how I do it with so many young children. In all honesty, when they ask me, only the great things about having so many young children come to mind. And, there are many great things (the picture above reflects happy, peaceful children after breakfast/getting dressed!).

I have many "breakfast" moments throughout my day, but generally, I feel truly blessed and happy. I just won't invite people over for breakfast (ha!!), and I'll keep saying my prayers...starting with this new one! St. Francis de Sales, pray for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment